Sunday, November 9, 2008

I'm Not Complaining

Hey- by now you've figured out that I am trying hard to do a lot of stuff for and with my kids and for and with our family. It does seem like I do a lot sometimes and some of you have asked how I have the time.

I stay up really late sometimes and...
I don't watch TV.

Don't get me "weird." I'm not all tree huggy don't watch TV it fries your brains like. I just gradually quit TV when I had Conner. Before Conner, I was an old movie (Cary Grant is so debonair) and HGTV, Samantha Brown, Girls Next Door, John and Kate Plus 8, etc., nut. I found myself putting Conner off to see something on the tube. I didn't like this about myself. I wanted to be more involved with him when he was awake. I don't know why, its just this intense feeling I have deep in my heart- and so I just quit. There are a few things that my hub nub DVR's that we will "watch" together- but I'm usually actually doing something at the same time or on the computer blogging. Which is actually starting to become a bad habit too. I've had to force myself not to turn on the computer during the day until naptime or even bedtime if necessary. And then, whenever the kids are asleep at the same time, I quickly check to see who's updated and write something if I can. Sometimes, I only get to uploading the pics and then a child wakes up- so I publish the pics and write in the words later that day.
I check out other blogs where the other moms are making and doing and involving themselves with their families and I'm a little envious of their abilities. They make the choice between Arby's or grilled steaks. They make the choice between homemade decorations or bought. Maybe they're painting a prettier picture than what really exists...but then again, maybe their not. Maybe they've got it figured out. And what's wrong with their "apparent" success and enjoyment prodding me into a little "actual" success and enjoyment?


Please pass me a chair so I can climb down from my high horse. I am done.

3 Calling Birds:

Jamie said...

Good for you. For me, it's the computer. I have very strict rules for myself now because I could be here all day.

Sarah said...

I agree with you about not watching TV while the kids are awake. Unfortunately I do watch TV after the kids go to bed where I probably could be more productive. I should learn from your example.

sharon said...

really..you do just what you are doing. Being with your children is the most important thing you can do for them. They will be much better adults because you took the time to be with them,
That's why we love you so much. You always try and do the right thing. Even if it means giving up something else you would like to do. That is very remarkable and you should be proud of it.