Friday, November 21, 2008

Hello Angel!

'Tis the season for taking some time to watch TV! Ya, I said it. Watch TV! But not just any old TV, Christmas movies! Let me introduce you to my favorite, The Bishop's Wife. You already know that I am in love with Cary Grant. What? You didn't? Ahem. That's a whole other post in itself... Back to the movie.
First, I love old movies -I like the overacting, corniness, and I don't mind the fake smooshy face kissing. If you're annoyed by these things, don't watch this movie.
Poor David Niven is the bishop who prays for help in getting a new cathedral- meanwhile, working too hard and shirking his husbandly duties. Dudley (Cary Grant) is sent to him and he does with the wife (Loretta Young) what the Bishop should be doing (no not sex- it's a 1947 movie for crying out loud). As in all of his movies Grant is humorous, debonair, handsome, charming, and lovable. Man, I can't believe I can't write any more about this movie. The words just aren't coming tonight- so here's the movie back explanation:
An episcopal Bishop, Henry Brougham, has been working for months on the plans for a new cathedral paid for by a stubborn widow. He is losing sight of his family and of why he became a churchman in the first place. Enter Dudley, an angel sent to help him. Dudley does help everyone he meets, but not necessarily in the way they would have preferred. With the exception of Henry, everyone loves him, but Henry begins to believe that Dudley is there to replace him, at work, and in his families affections, as Christmas approaches.
It usually shows on one of the old movie channels (TCM or ACM) before Christmas, or you can click on the movie title above and watch it on youtube- or rent it- duh.

0 Calling Birds: