Monday, March 3, 2008

Hey Guys, This is Serious!!




So, I have been a little lax lately on keeping my eye on Conner about the whole allergy thing. He's accidentally had a few goldfish here and there and seemed to be fine...I thought, even maybe, that they were starting to go away. Why I thought this I'm not sure.
Anyways, he got a hold of some milk yesterday. I don't know how much...we just caught him in the act of spilling it all down the front of his shirt. I didn't ask the questions I should have!! How much did he ingest? Did you see him ingest any? I sat him down to eat and he pushed his food away without taking a bight and hoarsely saying "All Done". So, I picked him up and put him on the ground. The Lord (yes, I said God) told me at that moment to take off his shirt (because it was soaked with milk and might be giving him hives). I did this and, sure enough, he was all red and had hives. Then I noticed his voice being hoarse. He kept saying things and he sounded like he had a really sore throat and needed to cough.
HELLO!! Anybody in there Rachel!!! Duh! I was just thinking- Wow, that sore throat really came on quick (Josh had had a sore throat that morning).
Suddenly I put two and two together and realized he was having an anaphylactic reaction!! He was having a hard time breathing and swallowing and his chin swelled up on the outside ( I can't imagine what it was doing to him on the inside). I grabbed the epi-pen from the car and Josh stabbed the sucker into his leg. Ouch!!! Did you see the size of this needle? Poor Conner. He only cried while we were holding the shot into his leg (15 seconds) then stopped and held onto Daddy. I was so scared and worried for my little guy. We rushed him to the ER where we spent a little over 4 hours making sure his oxygen count was ok.
He's ok. He's got lots of meds to make sure his lungs and throat don't tighten up again but he's ok. And we had the epi-pen on hand...and Josh was there to be strong and support us and keep us occupied in the ER...and we had lots of family around us to help and pray...and I can't thank Heavenly Father enough for helping us through this.

8 Calling Birds:

peacekeeper said...

ok...holy shmolies. i am so glad you snapped out of it and that you were prepared. he is lucky to have such good parents. glad you are okay conner. we love you and miss you!

Tyler Owens said...

What a relief, i'm so glad that everything is going to be okay. he is such a trooper! you guys are too! take a lickin and keep on tickin.

Ashley said...

holy cow! poor little guy! poor you too! i am so glad that everything is ok now! scary! we can't wait to see you guys in a couple weeks!

Lindsey and Ben said...

I am so glad that he is ok! That is so scary! I feel for you both! Poor little guy! I hope that he is doing better!

Tonya said...

Rach! That is SO scary. I am so glad Josh was there to help you. It would have been terrifying to have been alone with him. I'm so glad things are okay now.

Sunny said...

Oh my goodness! I am so glad that everything is ok and that Josh was home to help too. I talked to you last night and you didn't say a thing! Poor Conner, and he never complains. Thank heaven for the whisperings of the Spirit.

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie said...

That is so scary! I'm glad he is okay.