Sunday, March 15, 2009

Hiking

So, I made it to the gym 15 minutes before the class started...but all the tickets were gone! Grrrr. There was no way I was working out on my own. My motivation goes down as PMS increases. So, I forced myself take the boys hiking. We've been to this place a few times, tried the stroller, tried the scooter, tried the heavy duty baby backpack. We decided to hoof it today...all 3 of us. I'm glad because we were able to really investigate our surroundings. This time Conner was ecstatic about a giant rolly polly making its way across the road. We stopped to watch him and I told Conner to keep his eye on him as I changed his direction with my finger and finally nudged him into a ball. Conner was beside himself and Wyatt was like a rabid beast trying to get at him over my blocking arms. The poor creature was too afraid to unfurl, so I picked him up and set him in some nearby grass where he scurried away. Conner conceded as the multi footed critter sneaked under some leaves. No worries Conner! I found another one and we watched him disappear as well.
The whole time we are making our way down a steep paved road. I tried to hold Wyatt but he was restless. Down he went and I held him by one arm as he teetered recklessly down the hill with us.
At the bottom there were 4 shallow streams flowing down man made grooves across the road. Against my inner promptings I let Conner head toward them. I couldn't let him get too wet (I usually encourage puddle jumping)...so I coaxed a jump OVER the little streams and he cleared all 4 easily and continued on his merry way. Phew. Only, here comes WoWos. SO excited about the water and desperately needing to splash his hands into it. Up into my arms he went for a few meters down the road. No sooner had I picked him up than he spots a dog. WoWos squeals and wiggles, spinning out of my grasp. He's a little boy after my own heart...loving doggies so much. We did a round about so he could aggressively pat the tolerating pooch. I spotted a trail in the trees and decided to take it since it seemed to go back up the way we came.



I picked up little WoWos and headed up the steep trail. I told Conner we were having so much fun hiking on this steep hill. He enthusiastically agreed. We hiked next to the little stream and even got to cross it at one point over some large stones. Scary...since I was holding an annoyed and wiggling Wyatt (he wanted down again) while grasping Conner's hand. Helping him jump over the mud and balance from one stone to the next.
I kept taking the little trails that would vere from the main trail because they looked like they headed UP instead of SIDEWAYS. We saw an abundance of Prickly Pear and sticker bushes. Conner learned both these phrases and pointed out all that we saw. Finally, we reached the top. We both said "Phew, we made it" and wiped our brows.
I let Wyatt down and him and Conner found the familiar landmarks from our earlier trips and played on them. A large wooden balance beam (to show you where to park), pieces of trees cut into "stools", water fountains that shoot water several feet. Conner was SO far from being done. We slowly travelled back toward the car playing and investigating as we went. Wyatt proceeded to eat rocks, sand, and a pinecone as he waddled along.
Once back at the car, I fed Wyatt a bottle, gave Conner popcorn and water, and then we headed back out again. This time I had Wyatt snuggly sitting in the backpack. Holy heavy.
We made our way back down the hill where we spotted a caterpillar. Conner asked me to walk with him in the waterway next to the road. When that ended he hopped up onto the curb. He held my hand for balance and we sang Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam. My heart was smiling.
On our return trip up the trail we watched blackbirds and squirrels and Conner spotted Wyatt's binky which we had dropped on the first trip (but I couldn't get to cuz it rolled down the hill). Still had to leave it. We threw rocks and sticks into the stream and even took the long way back. My shoulders were killing me from the weight of the pack but I couldn't cut this trip short. Wyatt and I would make noises back and forth and he would periodically grab my face and squeal. He loved watching Conner as much as I did. I love watching his curiosity and his boyness. I love his sweetness. I hope he remembers our hikes when he grows up.

2 Calling Birds:

Sarah said...

I'm so impressed that you took the boys on a hike all by yourself! It sounds like fun! Where is the trail that you went on?

Megan said...

Quite an adventure, you are one brave woman.