Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Emotional Afterthought

I tried the life jacket but Conner could hardly move in it. He was like a kid in a super tight snow suit that can't move their arms or their head...so I took it off him and guess what happens.
He nearly drowns.
I was feeding Wyatt by the side of the pool and was watching Conner from afar as he played in the spa with his friends. Suddenly, I noticed him under the water with his arms straight up and he was kicking to get up. I yelled something and my sweet friend grabbed him quickly and held him tight- thank heaven she was there! He came over to me and held on to my legs, crying Mama.
I tried to downplay it for his benefit but inside I was super sad and emotional.
I put Wyatt down and got in the pool with him and he shook it off in no time...he was non-stop jumping to me from the side of the pool and having a blast. I didn't think about it much while still in the pool, but when I got home and Conner went down for a nap and Wyatt was sleeping- it was so quiet and I suddenly began to see the incident over and over in my head. I started to cry and had to call Josh. He made me feel so much better- but gosh, not being able to know that your babies are going to be safe all the time for the rest of their lives is really hard on a parent (sorry Mom, for the h@!% I put you through). I know my future with two boys will be far from uneventful but I think that if I were to worry about everything, I would never leave the house.

Boy do I love my 3 boys.

4 Calling Birds:

Sarah said...

I think everyone has had a near drowning incident with their kids and it is so scary. Just try not to think about it too much. It would be so nice of we could make sure that our kids are safe 100% of the time, but unfortunately that isn't possible. We can just do the best we can and then pray really hard!

peacekeeper said...

i agree...lots of praying. boys can be especially crazy sometimes. you protect them as much as you can and then let the rest go. it is hard and i have yet to master it. ;)

Tonya said...

Rachel, that is SO scary. Trust me, boys will give you plenty of scares. I nearly have one heart attack every day.

Megan said...

Wow how scary. I am so glad that everything was fine. I can only imagine how much you want to protect them all the time. I am sure that I will have some experiences as well. I guess that is where faith comes in.