Sunday, September 27, 2009

Idaho Trip Aug 2009

So, I haven't blogged in forever...because of this post. 500 pictures to go through had me at a standstill. But finally, its here and now I can get on with my life and continue to blog some more about daily life.

We went to Idaho at the end of Aug. I grew up there (born and raised for 17 years)...in case you didn't know that and I still have family living there. My aunt and uncle took over and built on the old family ranch belonging to my great Grandma and then eventually my Grandpa. Its a working ranch with cattle and alfalfa fields for sustenance and to sell. My grandparents live in a town near by and came out to stay on the ranch while we were there. We were also joined by my parents coming from Wisconsin and my cousin from Nevada.
I have to say, this is one of the best (but most exhausting) vacations I have ever taken. The best part for me was that the boys had absolutely so much fun. They were soooo happy and I was living vicariously through them. I loved being deep in the country and enjoyed nature immensely. It was awesome to get away and enjoy the basics. Everyone was super helpful with Conner and Wyatt...even when they got rowdy with tiredness. Being with my family was the best. I hope that we can make this an regular thing.


With acres of open land the boys were in heaven. This was one of those double edge sword things because I was in constant motion following the boys everywhere to make sure they didn't get hurt or lost or fall in the creek, or kicked by a cow, etc. but I loved the fact that they were wearing themselves out doing such fun stuff.



Uncle Roger had lots of toys (tractors) for Conner to try out. Conner was ecstatic about going on all the equipment and helping to run it. WoWos was a little envious.















Me and moms.











The dogs were also a big hit with the boys despite Conner's allergies to them (he was on Zyrtec the whole trip...along with Josh...I simply caught a nasty cold).



This is Bart. He is my uncles hunting dog. He's awesome. Sylvie is my aunts dog. She loved the food droppings at dinner but didn't appreciate Wyatt's excited screaming right in her face.










Aunt Marion had a Cottonwood tree come up in her garden and she had been wanting to plant it down by the creek- so she asked Conner if he could help out with that. Roger got the back hoe out and taught Conner how to dig a hole. The guys filled in the dirt, gave it some water from the creek, then put a fence around it to protect it from the deer and cows. Voila, a cottonwood tree planted in Conner's name.




Me, in my babymaking glory.





Wyatt gnawing through the gas line in the 4 wheeler. What?












Conner's Cottonwood.













Wyatt had some serious separation anxiety going on during this trip. So, any time I was to be away from him he needed super interaction. Here's Gram and Gramps keeping him occupied while I had my turn at using the back hoe.
Yeah, all us adults had to have our turn at it.






















Conner fell in love with Uncle Roger. But I think the feeling was mutual.




































Seriously, Conner had to ride EVERYTHING that moved.



See the bee boxes in the background? My aunt raises bees for honey too. Cool huh?






Liza's turn with the crying WoWos while I made lunch for the boys. Liza was awesome with the kids too. She helped me a ton.











We sat out on the front porch a lot to chat, eat, and enjoy the weather. This is Conner with his Great Grandparents- Harry and Lula Belle.










Conner went on the tractors to rake, bail, and gather bails. Love Love Loved it.
















Wyatt, pestering the dogs.























Mornings were a little chilly but we were always up at the crack of dawn to eat, gather apples and pears in a bucket, and ride the 4wheelers to feed the cows. The deer were always out at dawn and dusk too, so we liked to watch them.

Bapa W gets a chance to read to Conner early morning.

So glad the boys got a chance to be loved on by their Great Grandparents.

































































































The cows started waiting for us in the morning or would come stand outside the cattle guard when they heard the 4wheelers start up. They got really bold.

























































































































































Yes, they have llamas too.


























Pickin' matoes.












































There were several running fountains that Wyatt just couldn't resist.










This is the old cabin that my Great Grandma and Grandpa lived in. I decided to take "family pictures" of the boys around it. Don't let this window fool you- there's another pane of glass behind it...so you can still go in the cabin and its not completely run down. Way cool.



































































































































This is the "longhouse" that's right next to the cabin. It was the bunk place for hired hands during the harvest.








Grandma waits patienty as we get ready to go pick blackberries.




After visiting my Grandpa at his house, we asked him to meet us a few days later at the "park" near the ranch. The place is actually the site of an old Mission and it's right on the river. Gorgeous except for the yellow jackets and wasps.





This ol' guy still climbs up on tractors and bails hay the old fashioned way. He's also full of stories from his past...which I love.














Here's a picture of the 4 generations. My kids, me, my mom/her sister, and my mom's dad.



























The boys didn't sit too well for too long so we investigated the river and threw rocks. Another family photo op.









































































































































































Here's another pic of the 4 generations. My kids, me, my mom, and my mom's mom.
Dog not included- hardy har har.









My Side of the Family!















Me and my Grandma and Grandpa. Love these little cuties so much.








Roger has a jet fishing boat- so he can go over the rapids on the Clearwater, Snake, and Salmon Rivers. All the guys and Liza (minus WoWos and Grandpa) went fishing.






























































































































































































Conner is thrilled to try fishing!


They forgot to take the pole away from Conner before they tried to take off the fish. He swung it around and caught Roger with the hook too. Ha Ha.Josh told Conner to kiss the fish. Nice.
Another boat went by, making waves on the shore. Which scared Conner and he ran up and away.


Jealous much? This is Marion's Tomato patch. You should see the garden.The guys got in a round of golf.



























On our last day, Roger took advantage of Josh's spectacular muscles. It was super hot but Roger and Josh built this thing (it already had the foundation and main posts). Josh had his first experience putting up trestles and all the rest. He felt pretty good about it (especially after a nap).

8 Calling Birds:

shelby said...

Oh my gosh rachel...the boys look like they had SO much fun there! Im loving wo-wo's hair like that too! Spikey hair looks sooo cute on him! And im lovin the shirt wo-wo's is wearing (the one i got conner from fiji). And conner looks sooo cute fishing and in his little life jacket! Miss you guys! :]

Sarah said...

That looks like such a fun, relaxing trip! Love all of the pics of the boys and I love the family pics!

Megan said...

I love those pictures of the boys in front of the old buildings!

Victoria said...

I wanna move. Is that so WRONG???

Sunny said...

So pretty there - I love Idaho. It looks like the boys had such a fun time of playing and exploring too. Someday, maybe we'll get to talk for a few minutes so you can tell me about this trip that you took almost 2 months ago! :)

shawna henrie said...

OMGOSH...i want a life like that!!! so neat to experience all of that. you are lucky to have family who knows how to live...they probably do not EVEN get our "OC" life-haha!! thanks for sharing such priceless photos and memories!!

Cindy said...

Rachel--This is such an awesome post! Loved every bit of it.

peacekeeper said...

all tanner can say is that next time you must take him with you. looks like so much fun. glad we got to see you guys. hopefully see you soon....love you!